Today we come to know a new kind of tile – slate tile, also called slate, natural slate, with natural layers.
Natural slate tiles, also known as shale tiles and bluestone slate tiles, are popular names for roof tiles made of natural slate, and the standard term is slate tiles.
It has been used in Europe and the United States for hundreds of years. From museums, churches to high-end buildings such as city halls and castles, black slate tile roofs have become one of the symbols of European architecture, such as the famous Chteau de Fontainebleau complex in France. Use slate.
01 Product composition and classification
Natural slate can be split into thin slices with a thickness of about 6mm along the slab, called slate tiles or slate tiles, which are mainly composed of minerals such as quartz, sericite and chlorite.
The slate tiles are harder and rougher in the exposed state than when they were first collected. The calcium content is divided into three types: low calcium, medium calcium, and high calcium. The colors are generally black, gray, green, purple, rust and so on. The service life of roof slate tiles is 75-100 years.
02 Material properties
The formation of slate tiles has a long history. According to experts’ research, it should be traced back to the Ordovician period 550 million years ago.
High-quality slate features:
1. Good heat resistance, natural slate tiles have good heat resistance, no deformation and no burning when fired; no chemical reaction when fired, basically no change on the surface;
2. Good anti-freeze performance, the compressive strength of natural slate tiles after 25 freezing cycles still reaches 166.0-182.7Mpa, and the loss rate is <0.1%;
3. Good durability, no frostbite or sun crack in extreme weather in summer and winter;
4. Anti-biological corrosion ability, slate always presents the original natural color under long-term sunlight conditions, which will not fade for a long time;
5. Slate tiles are 100% natural products. The production process is only through mining and carving, and does not require additional treatment and will not produce chemical pollution. Since its production residues are completely natural, slate becomes a sustainable alternative compared to other materials.
03 Construction and installation nodes
During installation, the slate tiles are installed on the supporting structure of the roof, possibly on the insulation. There are currently two main installation methods:
1. It is possible to drill holes in structures and “nail” them;
Or no holes are drilled, and workers fix each tile with small hooks.
On the roof, the tile types can be varied to suit the specifics of each project.
Craftsmanship is as important as materials. The more durable the material, the higher the technical requirements for workers. Attention should be paid to:
1. Slate tiles should be installed by experienced workers hired by knowledgeable contractors.
2. There should be no ventilation from the roof to the linoleum.
3. There should be staggered joints between each layer of slate tiles, otherwise water will seep through the joints and cause the linoleum to rupture and cause the roof to leak.
4. When using some irregular slate tiles, the overlapping slate tiles should be as close to the center of the lower slate tiles as possible, and the distance from the joint of the lower slate tiles should not be less than 3in
5. When using slate tiles of the same width, the end of each layer of slate tiles should be laid with 1/2 times the width or 11/2 times the width.